What Causes Wrinkles?
For the majority of our dermatology patients, wrinkles are created due to several factors. Overall, as the skin loses elasticity or becomes dry due to the age-related loss of hyaluronic acid, the skin is subject to wrinkle formation. Further, the blood supply to skin can be compromised through smoking which lends to the depletion of underlying skin structure and overall skin health. Connective tissues beneath the skin are also affected through repeated facial expressions and muscle contractions. These repeated muscle contractions form grooves below the surface of the skin, and as skin loses elasticity these underlying grooves become present permanently.
Note that some wrinkles can be avoided, and wrinkle prevention can work with the implementation of lifestyle choices pertaining to skin health. For example, exposure to the sun’s harsh UV rays is a direct cause of wrinkled skin as UV light depletes collagen and elastin in the skin. However, proper sun prevention tactics such as applying sunscreen, wearing a hat or avoiding direct sun, all lessen the occurence of UV-related wrinkles. Other causes of wrinkles include:
- Repeated Facial Expressions
- Uv Light Exposure
- Dry Skin
Types Of Wrinkles
There are numerous types of wrinkles, and it’s necessary to identify exact wrinkle type through a consultation, as this allows our Boardman, OH dermatologist to best treat the patient. The following types of wrinkles are most commonly treated at our dermatology office.
- Dynamic wrinkles: Present when muscles contract and referred to as frown lines or crow’s feet.
- Static wrinkles: Present on a resting face and worsen with age.
- Elastic wrinkles: Caused by UV ray damage.
- Compression wrinkles: Present on the face due to sleeping positions.
- Atrophic wrinkles: Caused by dry, thin skin and weakening tissue structure.
Each patient’s wrinkle treatment plan will be created with regards to their areas of concern and wrinkle types present in the area. For example, static wrinkles are present on a resting face while dynamic wrinkles appear during facial expression. And although dynamic wrinkles are treatable through fillers such as Botox, static wrinkles are not addressed through Botox treatment.
Cosmetic Procedures For Wrinkles
Our wrinkle treatments in Boardman are wide ranging, from topical creams to cosmetic procedures. Topical facial and body creams work to replenish and restore moisture or hyaluronic acid to the affected areas. The following creams or solutions may be prescribed by the dermatologist:
- Alpha-hydroxy acids: Made from "fruit acids," alpha-hydroxy acids provide subtle improvements over time.
- Antioxidant creams: Effective ingredients include Vitamins A, C & E and beta-carotene which improve wrinkle appearance and provide extra sun protection.
- Moisturizers: Applied topically to temporarily reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Vitamin A acid: Helps ease signs of aging, such as liver spots, rough skin, and wrinkles.
Cosmetic procedures that are used to treat wrinkles include:
- Chemical peels: Removes outermost skin layer through the application of a chemical solution which works to smooth skin texture.
- Dermabrasion: Intense exfoliation method that removes outermost layers of skin to improve fine lines, sun damage and uneven texture.
- Laser resurfacing: Layers of skin are removed through the use of pulsating light beams to reduce facial wrinkles.
- Fillers: Botox or dermal fillers are non-surgically injected into selected treatment areas to temporarily reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Plastic surgery: Surgical options, such as a face lift, are performed by a cosmetic surgeon to tighten and smooth the facial structure.
Certain types of wrinkles are preventable and the formation of future wrinkles may be controlled to an extent. Our patients find that our recommended lifestyle changes for wrinkle prevention truly make a difference in skin appearance. During the appointment, the dermatologist may recommend that patients drink more water, quit smoking, wear sunscreen and/or implement a moisture-rich skin care regimen. Through a combination of healthy skin care practice and cosmetic wrinkle procedures, patients achieve a refreshed, youthful appearance.
To schedule a cosmetic procedure, contact our office.